Safety Case Manager
Job Description for Safety Case Manager:
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you’ll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We’re an organisation that’s here to experiment and push the limits of what’s possible. So, if you’re keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
The Safety Case Manager (SCM) is a facility-specific, nuclear baseline role to support the NNL Safety Case Delivery Lead to ensure the company’s continued compliance with all safety case-related Site Licence Conditions (principally LC14, 15, 23, 27).
The SCM is responsible for the development, implementation, maintenance and review of the safety case as well as managing integration of emergent project pipeline demands. The role is required to ensure that the safety case is delivered in a clear and user-friendly way all stakeholders. The SCM is a lead role and must be able to perform duties with minimal management direction.
The role location is at an NNL facility on the Sellafield site.
Main Responsibilities for Safety Case Manager:
- Lead implementation of governance arrangements to ensure appropriate legislative, regulatory, environmental, safety and quality requirements are complied with across their area of responsibility.
- Develop, implement and maintain a clear strategy for the ongoing management of the safety case in line with the relevant process arrangements.
- Act as the customer (on behalf of the SCO) regarding safety case requirements. They shall be the primary point of contact for facility safety case issues.
- Sponsor documentation through the safety committee (PMP, MSC).
- Ensure the safety case is clear, fit for purpose, pragmatic and user friendly.
- Provide high quality safety case advice to all stakeholders.
- Identify and drive improvement initiatives on safety case understanding and implementation in the workplace.
- Look for, use and share learning from internal and external sources and from events and good practice.
- Drive the training and development of safety case team members in line with the safety case workbook, career pathway and business requirements.
- Maintain up to date detailed knowledge of relevant legislative, regulatory and company policy, standards and procedures.
- Maintain a working knowledge of applicable regulations, processes and industry good practice, through attendance at relevant forums within the wider safety case community and benchmarking with other organisations. They shall be responsible for managing implementation of these back in the workplace.
Essential Criteria for Safety Case Manager:
- Experienced in working in a regulated industry, detail orientated, and able to work to stringent deadlines.
- Compliance professional, educated to Degree level (or equivalent), with extensive demonstrable practical & relevant experience in a safety case management role.
- Must demonstrate an ability to analyse and interpret complex information from several, sometimes conflicting or novel sources, with a proven problem-solving ability in order to make decisions based upon this information.
- Highly motivated with the ability to communicate concepts to diverse audiences with varying skills.
- Experience of remaining calm under stressful circumstances.
- Evidence of self-motivation with demonstrable levels of drive, energy and resilience.
- Ability to communicate key information both verbal and written with a range of stakeholders.
- Ability to influence, communicate and work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders across a team and business area.
- Good analytical thinking skills, with experience of solving novel and possibly challenging technical issues.
- Good understanding of ALARP principles.
- Good planning skills.
- Computer literate with MS Office suite.
- Ability to obtain DV level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial, criminal record checks, interview plus 10 years of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Safety Case Manager:
- Fully conversant with SLP 2.17 suite.
- SCM workbook completed.
- A thorough awareness of nuclear and conventional safety and security requirements applicable to their area(s) of responsibility.
About The Company
NNL is an incredible place to work. A place where people do things that have never been done before. A place where people push boundaries to further themselves, the business and society as a whole.
This is a place where personal and professional opportunities are limitless. If you want to change the world, if you want to tackle climate change, if you want to help advance medical science, if you want to help put things in space, if you want to answer the big questions, if you want to work with extraordinary materials, if you want to meet great people, learn new skills, challenge yourself, work flexibly, and build a long successful career with the power to make a real impact… you can do it all here.
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.