Job Description for Project Manager:
NNL is where your project management helps deliver our purpose. As part of our Project Management Authority, you’ll play a critical role in managing projects that deliver nuclear science to benefit society. Your project management skills and attention to detail will enable industry-leading scientists, engineers and analysts to work together to deliver unique projects using cutting edge technology. It’s a challenging role but it’s an opportunity to grow, adapt and develop new skills in a fast-moving area.
Responsible for the successful delivery of project related work including the establishment of project execution strategies; management of cross-functional project teams, and the safe and secure delivery of projects through the project life cycle, to time, cost, and quality to achieve customer satisfaction.
The location for this role is flexible and can be based at Risley or Workington.
Main Responsibilities for Project Manager:
- Proactive engagement in the development of new scope, requirement proposals and business cases for endorsement at the investment committee.
- Gathering customer feedback and sharing and implementation of learning from experience (LFE).
- Leading on stakeholder management with the ability to deal with complex and multiple stakeholders.
- Provision of task related reporting to the Senior Project Manager as required to provide regular updates on status, risks, opportunities and/or matters for escalation.
- Safe and secure delivery of task / project scope to budget and programme.
- Provision of project financial performance information including projected spends, actuals Vs planned, earned value, and estimate at complete out-turn costs.
- Management of project risks and risk mitigation through liaison with PMA Project Controls function.
- Effective control and management of change within the project.
- Comprehensive configuration management and a desire to drive continuous improvement.
- Manage the interface with customers with respect to matters relating to the delivery of contracted work, ensuring that there are agreed communications and reporting methodologies in place.
Essential Criteria for Project Manager:
- Project Management professional qualification (e.g., APMP, Diploma APMP, IPMA Level D) or working towards.
- Demonstrable experience in a Project Management/delivery role (ideally as a Project Manager).
- Demonstrable track record of successfully leading and delivering small-medium scale / reasonably complex projects.
- Ability to use typical IT based project reporting; planning and tracking software packages, e.g. Microsoft Office / Project.
- Demonstrable financial acumen and experience of using financial monitoring & performance tools / processes.
- Experience of different contracting models, involving the management of commercial risks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work independently as well as part of an effective team.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach to daily tasks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – articulate and diplomatic manner.
- Able to work to tight deadlines.
- Resilient to coping with conflicting demands, able to prioritise duties and work under pressure.
- Ability to think analytically with some level of commercial / financial awareness.
- Self-motivated and able to take responsibility.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Project Manager:
- Experience of managing resources and allocating work.
- Inputting into the bid / sales process (for new work) as required and assisting (when requested) in the preparation and coordination of NNL fee proposals and submissions.
- Member of APM.
About The Company
NNL is an incredible place to work. A place where people do things that have never been done before. A place where people push boundaries to further themselves, the business and society as a whole.
This is a place where personal and professional opportunities are limitless. If you want to change the world, if you want to tackle climate change, if you want to help advance medical science, if you want to help put things in space, if you want to answer the big questions, if you want to work with extraordinary materials, if you want to meet great people, learn new skills, challenge yourself, work flexibly, and build a long successful career with the power to make a real impact… you can do it all here.
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.