From researcher to science or engineering expert: helping early career scientists apply academic skills in an industrial environment
Are you ready to continue developing your research skills in a commercial environment?
Would you like to start the journey to becoming one of our future Subject Matter Experts?
NNL’s national and international reputation is hard-won. On our team are some of the leading authorities on:
• Nuclear operations
• Waste management and decommissioning
• Fuel, reactor and reprocessing technology
This knowledge and capability is converted into real-world benefits both in the short and long term and on a national and international scale. The benefits of our work improve society for generations.
We’re looking for people with a PhD or early postdoctoral experience (although pre-graduation applications are accepted if your thesis is in preparation or has been submitted and you are waiting for your viva). We are seeking PhDs in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) areas that aspire to build on their expertise to help shape the future of our industry and support our vision of providing nuclear science for the benefit of society.
We would therefore like you to consider if the skills you have honed in academia could be harnessed to deliver innovative solutions to some of the industry’s and society’s most challenging problems. Help us make the future safer, cleaner and greener!
Currently we are looking to grow Subject Matter Experts in the following areas (whilst experience in these areas is advantageous, it is not a requirement for applying):
- Material Science, particularly in the areas of electron optics and plutonium science
- Chemistry, particularly in the areas of Isotope separation and reactor chemistry modelling
NNL’s Postdoctoral Development Scheme
NNL recognises that academia and industry are very different environments and so our Postdoctoral Development Scheme aims to smooth the transition between them whilst supporting the first steps towards becoming a Subject Matter Expert.
From day one you’ll have a role in a technical team involved in delivering real customer projects. This allows you to have direct sight of the value that your skills and knowledge have to our industry and by extension our society. The Postdoctoral Development Scheme runs alongside your role, providing you the space and skills to develop in a commercial environment whilst helping you decide how to advance your technical expertise.
Our two-year programme is designed to give you:
- An introduction to NNL so you understand where we sit in the wider context of the nuclear industry and how we work
- An introduction to the technical expertise at the core of our business so you understand how your expertise interrelates with our wider technical portfolio
- A clear pathway of technical development
- Commercial awareness of all of the functions of NNL
- Access to a program of tailored training where your previous experience counts
- Opportunity to network with mid-career professionals and experts
- Mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen professional body
- A Subject Matter Expert mentor
- A choice of development activities tailored to you and your career aspirations
- Membership of a cohort of early career professionals to provide support in developing within the company
We hope that envisioning your future with us excites you and that we hear from you soon.
Apply at www.nnl.co.uk/careers
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.