Transition from researcher to science or engineering expert applying academic skills in an industrial environment.
Would you like to start the journey to becoming one of our future Subject Matter Experts and develop your research skills in a commercial environment?
We look for PhDs in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) areas that aspire to build on their expertise to help shape the future of our industry and support our vision of providing nuclear science for the benefit of society.
Why work at NNL?
NNL’s national and international reputation is hard-won. On our team are some of the leading authorities on:
• Nuclear operations
• Waste management and decommissioning
• Fuel, reactor and reprocessing technology
This knowledge and capability is converted into real-world benefits both in the short and long term and on a national and international scale. The benefits of our work will improve society for generations.
This year’s intake will start in early September 2022 on a salary over £37,000.
The company also includes a great package of additional employment benefits including:
- Company Bonus scheme
- Support toward professional institute membership
- Cycle to work scheme
£37k+ starting salary
About our scheme
NNL recognises that academia and industry are very different environments and so our Postdoctoral Development Scheme aims to smooth the transition between them whilst supporting the first steps towards becoming a Subject Matter Expert.
From day one you’ll have a role in a technical team involved in delivering real customer projects. This allows you to have direct sight of the value that your skills and knowledge have to our industry and by extension our society. The Postdoctoral Development Scheme runs alongside your role, providing you the space and skills to develop in a commercial environment whilst helping you decide how to advance your technical expertise.
Our two-year programme is designed to give you:
- An introduction to NNL so you understand where we sit in the wider context of the nuclear industry and how we work
- An introduction to the technical expertise at the core of our business so you understand how your expertise interrelates with our wider technical portfolio
- A clear pathway of technical development
- Commercial awareness of the Business Operations of NNL
- Opportunity to network with mid-career professionals and experts
- Mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen professional body
- A choice of development activities tailored to you and your career aspirations
- Membership of a cohort of early career professionals to provide support in developing within the company