NNL is committed to providing safe and healthy working conditions for the prevention of work related injury and ill health. Nothing is more important than the occupational health and safety of our employees, our customers, our contractors, the general public and any other stakeholders.
Our primary goal is:
Is to ensure the health and safety of our employees and others who can be affected by our occupational activities.
How we support this:
Safety is a principal core value of our business; Achieving excellence in occupational health and safety (OH&S) management is integral to our business. NNL provides safe and healthy workplaces, and seeks to continually improve its nuclear safety and OH&S performance to meet primary legislation and the relevant nuclear site licence conditions.
To support this policy NNL commits to:
- Seek out examples of internal and external learning to enable application of relevant good practices in its operations to ensure ALARP principles are applied to effectively mitigate all significant work place hazards.
- Ensure that effective emergency arrangements are in place.
- Ensure that our activities, products and services comply with legislation and other relevant mandatory requirements associated with nuclear safety and OH&S performance standards, eg nuclear site licence conditions.
- Respond to all any safety issues and events to understand, and where appropriate take investigative action, without prejudice, to ensure appropriate corrective and preventative action is undertaken and that any learning is
- communicated across the business to prevent recurrence.
This policy will be delivered by:
- Top level management demonstrating leadership and commitment with respect to nuclear safety and OH&S and having overall accountability for the integrated management system, ensuring that all our employees are aware of their responsibility to look after their own health, safety and wellbeing as well as that of others who may be affected by their acts and omissions.
- Assured use of our integrated management system
- Regular promotion of nuclear safety and OH&S issues.
- Proactively consulting with our employees and their representatives on nuclear safety and OH&S matters.
- Communication and co-operation with our customers, shareholders, suppliers and neighbours.
- Openly reporting our nuclear safety and OH&S performance internally and externally without prejudice.
- Working with our regulators, industry, customers and contractors to raise OH&S standards.
- Ensuring that relevant information, instruction, advice and training is provided to develop our employees to ensure sufficient suitably qualified and experienced resources are available to undertake our operations safely.
- Setting of nuclear safety and OH&S objectives and targets, regularly reviewing our performance, and taking action where appropriate to demonstrate continual improvement.
- Ensuring suitable and sufficient escalation and reporting lines are in place to senior management for the immediate
- Communication of serious concerns (Policy 12), with regards to nuclear safety and OH&S.
We will monitor & measure our performance using:
- Agreed KPIs relating to nuclear safety and OH&S management.
- Monitoring of action completion of our nuclear safety and OH&S improvement plans.
- Audits and inspections of our nuclear safety and OH&S processes.
- Regular management review of the integrated management system and its outputs.
- Multi levelled assurance activities.