You are here:
Welcome to the National Nuclear Laboratory, or NNL as people usually refer to us. We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry.
Since July 2008, we've been providing independent advice to the UK Government and working with other National Laboratories around the world. And delivering a full range of research and technology to support the nuclear fuel cycle.
Quite simply, we're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.
A brief history
- Pre-1996: Multi-Centred Nuclear Technology
- 1996: Integrated Research and Technology
- 2003: Nuclear Sciences and Technology Services, acquired AEA(T) Nuclear Service Business
- 2004: Shadow Subsidiary (NSTS)
- 2005: Full Subsidiary Status (Nexia Solutions Ltd)
- 2008: National Nuclear Laboratory
- 2009: NNL Managing Contractor
- Succeeding Nexia Solutions Ltd and originally operated by BNFL, NNL was formed from a consortium made up of Serco, Battelle Memorial and Manchester University in 2009. Now, our key objective is to help to safeguard and develop nuclear expertise and laboratories across a number of different sites.
Today, we're committed to outstanding customer service and trusted advice to the Government. Tomorrow, we're looking to grow for the future and pioneer the best in innovation and safety.
There are three core areas in which we operate as a business:
Waste Management and Decommissioning
We offer a range of products and services that focus on developing and applying techniques to decommission nuclear facilities. Our skills cover the full dimension of wastes management and decommissioning projects, including environmental and effluent management, measurement and analysis and waste immobilisation technology.
Fuel Cycle Solutions
We're focused on providing technical solutions to the nuclear industry. This includes fuel cycle performance and technology development, spent fuel disposition and plant integrity. We also handle nuclear security, safety management and engineering services, along with advanced modelling and simulation.
Reactor Operations Support
As nuclear energy continues its resurgence worldwide, NNL offers vital support to reactor operations in the UK, including post irradiated examination and the performance of fuel components and graphite. Our services cover power station chemistry, endoscopy and metallography. This means major customers, including the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA), Sellafield, Springfields, the MoD, British Energy and the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority (UKEA).